Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BASS STRINGS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: BASS STRINGS Reply with quote

just wondering what type of bass strings are beings used these days. i've been using D'addario exl165 .45-.105. they seem to last longer tone wise than fender, or rotosound. then if i need another set of strings and i'm broke i boil 2 strings at a time and they almost sound like new. p.s. if you ever boil your strings to clean them leave 2 strings on the bass to keep the tension on the neck.

let your fingers do the walking i do
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much salt and vinegar do you use? Just kidding, but what does boiling the strings do for them?
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just gets all the oil and sweat from your hands off the string to give them a second chance to walked on

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: BASS STRINGS Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
just wondering what type of bass strings are beings used these days. i've been using D'addario exl165 .45-.105.

Corky,

I use D'Addario's on all three of my basses. Roundwounds and normal gauge (whatever that is). They seem to last a long time, although I recall reading an interview with Duck Dunn during which he mentioned leaving his strings on for something like FIFTEEN years?!? Laughing

On the other hand, I knew a bass player many years ago who was doing studio work and insisted on changing his strings every single day.

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do flat wounds differ from round wounds on bass tone wise? Besides for the way they feel, are there tone reasons why players prefer one over another?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
How do flat wounds differ from round wounds on bass tone wise? Besides for the way they feel, are there tone reasons why players prefer one over another?

Len,

Rounds produce more of a vibrant, snappy bass tone, typically good for R&B, funk, slap, rock, etc. Flats are not as bright-sounding, but players often favor them for jazz due to slides and shifts minus the string noise associated with rounds, particularly on a fretless. However, I've really grown to prefer the rounds for jazz due to the tone, and feel that I control most of the extraneous noise by how I play.

Btw, one side note relevant to guitarists doubling on bass is that if your right-hand nails are important, playing on a bass with rounds for any length of time can definitely wear them down. This is especially true in an ensemble context when you tend to really "dig in" with a drummer. Til next time...

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been using the exl 165 .045-.105. i have 40-100 on my 64 silvertone but they seem like there sloppy when i play the silvertone. sound great but just the feeling of a small round wound string. you mentioned bass players not changing there string i read the james jamerson was the same way. if i remember one time jj went to the bar for a drink and a sandwich. when he got back the engineer changed his strings he got pissed and more bombed. then when he moved to LA i'm pretty sure they made him change his strings for every session.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> The Bass Space All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: