Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LBM Progress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: LBM Progress Reply with quote

I would like to start a new topic where people discuss the progress they are making with the bass LBM series -- successes, failures, lightbulb moments, etc.

I am a converting guitarist -- picking up bass at Mark's suggestion. I've just finished the second lesson in the LBM bass series. I'm amazed at how easy it is to pick up jazz bass after playing guitar with these lessons.

The most striking thing I've noticed is the power of the jazz language in the lessons. You can just "plug and play" with the two-fives. I found myself improvising almost immediately.

I really like the walks; I hope more are coming. I can now walk through a jazz blues in any key without too much trouble (that's gotta be about 15 to 25% of the repetoire). I find some technical challenges getting some of the triplet figures up to speed, but the first walk is in quarter notes, which I can take up to almost any reasonable speed.

I'm also noticing increased strength in my left hand from playing on suspension cables (er, bass strings).

These lessons make it almost effortless to switch over. I've been spending about an hour a day on them. I think it will probably take me about 3 months to get to the point where I'm comfortable jamming in a jazz situation, but let's see. The great language in the first two lessons is really a shortcut.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, having played guitar all these years sure helps! I'm on the seventh lesson, which consists of three parts. Each one could be a lesson in itself had I not studied jazz already. I was able to memorize everything in a few hours and now I'm working on speed and timing.

I also found that playing on suspension cables built LH strength, but only to a point. If i play the bass for more than about 20 minutes my wrist starts to hurt. So I usually learn the parts on my 6-string first.

Something else: when I first started I had to really work to get comfortable with my RH technique. I'm already at the point where I just forget about it and play.
nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC Said:

Quote:
Yeah, having played guitar all these years sure helps!

That is definitely true.

One thing I'm noticing from "starting over" through the eyes of a new instrument is how powerful it is to have a few two-fives up your sleeve.

I'm just starting on the third lesson now, which has a bunch of short two-fives. I've been using them as-is, combined (putting two short two-fives together to make a long two five), and transposed a la Bird (playing the second ii-V a minor third higher to get one long two-five). You can get a lot of permutations out of one page of two-fives!

In some ways, I am finding it easier to improvise on bass, because it has such a full sound, I don't have to play fast (relatively speaking -- or use chords or octaves) to create texture.

Larry, how long did it take you to get comfortable (or are you still working on it) creating walking lines from charts as you go?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite on auto pilot yet. I still have to think through a comping arrangement, but with practice I'm sure it will become easier.
bassman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys:

I just joined the forum so I am probably 6 months to late on this thread, but I am coming from teh exact opposite direction. After playing bass for 30 years, I have just started playing guitar a few years ago. Mark's LBM swing blues lessons are great.

Larry, I had the same problem with my wrist when I started. Most bassist hold their bass at hip level when playing...I strap my bass really high so its almost on my chest..like a guitar...it really keeps your fretting hand wrist straight and allows you to keep your thumb in the middle of the neck... and gives you the proper position of your "plucking hand" thumb and fingers if you ever get info slapping and popping....

Hope this helps.. Very Happy
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bassman, Glad to hear someone else does that! I strap my bass really high too. My main instrument is classical guitar, and I use the same right hand posture for both instruments, so I need to keep the bass high.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bassman - welcome to LBM and thanks for the tip. I love the sound of the bass but still have to limit my playing. I'll follow your advice.

I have taken 9 years' worth of LBM, so I think I can tell you that you're on the right path to jazz nirvana.
SBassman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Great thread - SBassman here Reply with quote

Hey folks - I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to stop in and say hi.
I took Mark's outstanding LBM program many years ago, and I have been away from the bass for a long time. I'm returning and sort of starting over in some ways.

Honestly, I forgot about Vision Music and got a reminder from some e-mail today. VM is a treasure for the aspiring player.

Tell your friends about LBM for Bass. The charts in the program are - solid gold.

Would love to see the bass chat grow here. Ok, carry on. Smile
corky4strings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: hi everyone i'm back Reply with quote

i everyone sorry haven't been around for a while been real busy taking care of dad 24/7.

i set the height of my strap to the sitting position that i would be in when practicing. that way when your out jamming, the bass is at the same height as when you practice.

then the bassline i play them slow with out a metronome, till i can play the baseline. then i will use the metrodome/drum machine. and gradually pick up the tempo.

glad to be back everyone have a super weekend

let your fingers do the walking i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> The Bass Space All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: