Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grant Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Grant Green Reply with quote

Just listened to Grant Green's "Standards" CD. Wow! He is an amazing player. It's too bad he was overshadowed by Wes.

I think most folks (at least I have in the past) think of Grant as being more of a blues player. I've transcribed his blues playing and it's amazing!

What do you think of Grant? Does he deserve a place in the jazz guitar family tree, along with Wes, George, Joe Pass, etc? Is he underrated?
woland99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Grant Green Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
What do you think of Grant? Does he deserve a place in the jazz guitar family tree, along with Wes, George, Joe Pass, etc? Is he underrated?

Of course he does. I like Grant A LOT. In fact most of the time I rather
grab Grant's CD to chill out too than Joe's or Wes's one. But I like Kenny
or George (early) more than Grant. If you judge him on pure technique
then any of these players would beat him but you cannot deny that great
bluesy timing that man had.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woland wrote

Quote:
If you judge him on pure technique
then any of these players would beat him

I agree with you, but I am not bothered at all by his lack of pure technique. It doesn't detract from his musicality -- he's got enough technique to get his point accross.

And when I was listening to/noodling with some of the licks in "Standards," I realized that Grant uses a lot of devices to stretch his technique -- like rakes, speed bursts, etc. He's managed to fit the language to his technique, not visa versa. There's a lot to learn there.

I'm glad you mentioned Kenny -- another monster player that should make it to the "A" team.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Green is great. Actually never heard him until this forum started up and Brad made some suggested listening...glad he did. Cool

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
woland99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
I agree with you, but I am not bothered at all by his lack of pure technique. It doesn't detract from his musicality -- he's got enough technique to get his point accross.

Neither am I - I like his playing - he did well with whatever slight limitations
he might have had.

nylenny wrote:
And when I was listening to/noodling with some of the licks in "Standards," I realized that Grant uses a lot of devices to stretch his technique -- like rakes, speed bursts, etc. He's managed to fit the language to his technique, not visa versa. There's a lot to learn there.

Actually now that you mentioned it... one thing I have in common with
Grant is overuse of trill-like (hammer on-pull off) embellishments.
I always have to consciously controll the urge to pad my playing with
those.[/quote]

nylenny wrote:
I'm glad you mentioned Kenny -- another monster player that should make it to the "A" team.

You mean TV show? Wink
I like pretty much everything about his playing. Not the most
experimental or flashy player but super solid and reliable sideman.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think he's underrated now, he has gotten a lot of recognition in the last decade or so. I always hear his name mentioned in the same sentence with Wes, Benson and Burrell. He was certainly a lyrical player which holds more weight with me than technique ever will. Sort of like comparing Miles to Diz...2 different approaches....both outstanding. And of course he's drenched in blues. Gotta love that!

Here's the only vid I know that exists of Green. He's along side Burrell and Kessel. He definitely holds his own here. But man do I love Burrell's tone in this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKW40qCeql8
nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad, Thanks. Great video. I've never really been into Barney Kessell, but he plays some great licks on that clip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: