Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spped and playing through changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Spped and playing through changes Reply with quote

I had a minor break through thought.

I have difficulty getting through changes at tempo. So I am working my model solos up to speed (actually trying to get them above speed, but we'll see). My logic is that the model solos contain the language that I'd like to be able to improvise with. If I can play model solos at tempo, I should be able to play the language at tempo.

Any thoughts?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Spped and playing through changes Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
If I can play model solos at tempo, I should be able to play the language at tempo. Any thoughts?

I've been thinking along those lines for a long time. Too bad it hasn't worked yet Laughing I play model solos every day, along with solos I've transcribed. Trying to pull the language and apply it at tempo is still a challenge for me , but I keep at it because it's so much fun. I've been combining ideas from Mark's course material with lines from my favorite artists and even a few of my own when inspiration pays a visit. I also find Reno DeStefano's articles in Just Jazz Guitar magazine to be gold mines of bop phrases.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry. I'll have to check out Reno DeStefano's articles.

I'm starting to see progress from pushing the model solos. Maybe it's because I've never pushed myself to practice fast (I've believed the hype about practicing slow). But I find that playing faster in practice is helping.

I've also been using what I call the "two steps forward, one step back" method. I play along with a cd at a given speed, then play it at a very fast speed, and, finally, at a speed 2/3 of the distance between the two. For example, I might play as follows, using percents in Transcribe!:

150, 165, 160
160, 175, 170

etc.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry, I've also found that thinking ahead helps me with speed. While I'm working through a given ii-V, I can go on autopilot (a little) because I know the line I'm playing, so I use that time to figure out which lick comes next. Do you do this?
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

len when i start thinking to much while playing i screw up big time.

let your fingers do the walking i do
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting approach regarding speed. I sometimes play a song about 10% faster so that it seems easier when I drop back to normal tempo.

Yes, I do find that memorizing lines helps me think ahead. But definitely not up tempo (yet).
nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I find that if I have a line totally "burned in," and I have worked it up to speed as part of a model solo, it's a lot easier to plug and play it at tempo.
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start slow and get the fingers going in the right form, then just play it until my fingers just know where to go...I am like corky ,can not think about it to much...just hear it...then I will play at different speeds and rhytums till it is locked in.In the end I just picture the fret board in my mind and where the notes are.Hope that makes sense.
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean said:

Quote:
can not think about it to much...just hear it

Dean, I think that you are doing it the right way. I originally learned scales, shapes and theory, without relying on my ear that much. I've made a real effort over the past few years to rely more on my ear, and it has paid off.
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lenny, I have to watch myself now,because I tend to play to fast.What was or seemed fast before is much slower to me now.Not having to think to much really speeds you up.I have learned so much this last year..I have got to that point where there is so much out there,I feel I am walking in mud with heavy boots on.The more I learn,the more there is to learn,so I feel like I have not learned enought.haha Hope you get what I am saying.Or I am playing catch up all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: