Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member intro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: New member intro Reply with quote

Hi all, I lucked onto this site while browsing various sites for info on jazz guitar. I've been playing on and off (more off) for two decades, mostly a bit of blues and classical, never really mastered anything but have just sort of found a new passion for it in my mid 40s. I've accumulated over 20 years a couple of decent strats, a Gibson 335, and a Martin d35 which I bought for playing around the house without waking my son. I can't seem to resist picking up any guitar within reach. So first, I just wanted to say 'hello' on what appears to be a constructive, polite forum (how I never imagined this would matter for me too much but when you see some of the other places out there!!).

Second, I want to make a request for at least a pointer on where to start. I've never enjoyed the theory side (modes, scales etc.) but I am prepared at least to take it one step at a time now as needed. However, most intros to jazz guitar just overwhelm me from the start with 'basic' knowledge and pages of chord shapes I apparently have to know before I can even get started. I can jam easily over a basic 12-bar blues progression without being able to articulate easily why one note makes more sense than another (so I operate on feel and lots of trial and error, I suppose, that has become internalized) but I know this won't be good enough for jazz. Am also not that sharp on chord names or construction so I know I'll need to put some time in here. I'm not looking to avoid the effort, I just want to get to the music sooner rather than later, so, if there's a basic, and I mean basic and gentle on-ramp to this wonderful discipline, or some particularly good intro for the more mature audience (!) I'd be very grateful for a pointer.

Meanwhile, it's good to be here and I'll explore away.

O.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey odel, and welcome. Many people at your stage of interest become a little discouraged because of the "teachers" who load them up with tons of theory. It does help a LOT to understand theory, but there's no need to rush. You can learn quickly by building a foundation of knowledge one layer at a time. If you want to learn jazz by playing music right away instead of studying scales and modes until your brain melts, try Mark Stefani's Swing Blues course. I trust you can read notation or TAB? Before long you will be able to articulate why one note makes more sense than the other, because the lessons will show you the grammar behind the jazz language. You'll be introduced to chord names and shapes at a reasonable pace and apply them right away. No need to memorize grips and wonder if you'll ever use them. If you can devote 30-60 minutes a day to the lessons you'll be amazed at what you can learn.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Vision Music other than being a student of Mark's for about 6-1/2 years now.
odel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry

Would this be the Swing Blues Lesson by Mail sequence? My eyes fell on the Jazzed Blues video course too but I cannot determine if these are complementary or overlapping. Will likely take the Swing Blues option anyhow.

Odel
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the first in the sequence of Lessons By Mail, heretofore referred to as LBM. Jazzed Blues is an excellent complement to any lesson program, but LBM is best for learning the jazz language from the bottom up.
odel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBM Swing Blues ordered!!
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be glad you did, I guarantee.
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odel, good to see you here....look forward to your thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: