Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GAWD I just can't take it anymore!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: GAWD I just can't take it anymore!!! Reply with quote

Sheeeeeesh!!!!

I'm sure you folks have no idea but running an internet forum these days can drive a person insane. I spend way too much time every day dealing with spammer accounts. I have everything setup as economically as I can but they just bombard us daily. The *other forum* I run gets about 200-300 a day from fictitious gmail accounts alone. Here, more like about 20 a day.

So...is the world coming to an end or what?

Anyone think of any good reason why I shouldn't ban gmail entirely at this point?

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: GAWD I just can't take it anymore!!! Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
running an internet forum these days can drive a person insane. I spend way too much time every day dealing with spammer accounts. I have everything setup as economically as I can but they just bombard us daily. The *other forum* I run gets about 200-300 a day from fictitious gmail accounts alone. Here, more like about 20 a day.

So...is the world coming to an end or what?

Anyone think of any good reason why I shouldn't ban gmail entirely at this point?

Choose the path of least resistance for your time commitment
and your sanity. You will not receive any more 'at-a-boys', 'pats-on-
the-back', or general appreciation for the additional aggravation and misery
you endure managing these problems; so be good to yourself
and work with the most effective solution.

Spend your time more productively working on music.
Just my two cents for what it's worth.

-Kb

-
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: GAWD I just can't take it anymore!!! Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:

Spend your time more productively working on music.
Just my two cents for what it's worth.
-

LoL, working on music, I haven't touched a guitar in about a year now largely to do with this stuff. I just wanted to give you and other folks the chance to have an opinion.

What concerns me is that one person out of 300 that is a real person who really would benefit from our information I don't want to just shut the door on them.

Your two cents + tax, shipping, ASCAP and other fees taken well. Wink

kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: GAWD I just can't take it anymore!!! Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
What concerns me is that one person out of 300 that is a real person who really would benefit from our information I don't want to just shut the door on them.

In the case of the 'exception', that one person, could you not work out an
arrangement or must it be an 'inflexible' policy for technical reasons
or such ?

-Kb

-
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: GAWD I just can't take it anymore!!! Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:

In the case of the 'exception', that one person, could you not work out an
arrangement or must it be an 'inflexible' policy for technical reasons
or such ?

The exception actually has been in place but now that I look I didn't make it as obvious in one place as the other so I will update the thread to be totally clear. Reason being is I haven't initiated the lock down here yet. But this thread now shows a real user the door.

http://www.visionmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134

As you may have noticed, I put this in place over a year ago but opened it back up for those exceptions. So closing the door again seems only logical because there still is only so much value in the abyss. Laughing

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and BTW, I've gathered another 30 spammer accounts since I started thiis topic...so I'm closing the door now. I can open it as quickly as I can close it...so There we have it. Wink

kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Oh and BTW, I've gathered another 30 spammer accounts since I started thiis topic...so I'm closing the door now. I can open it as quickly as I can close it...so There we have it. Wink

Cool...
Now celebrate by working on some music...Very Happy

-Kb
-
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki ,I do not know if this would help ,but a lot of sites are useing a code form you have to put in and a mass e-mail can not read it.Something like that.
I can only add ,Thank you for you hard work.
Now if I can just keep phone calls from computers to leave me alone.And mail that does not have my name on it ,out of my mail box.And people with card board signs on every street ,wanting money...and the tax man ,out of my pocket...and and and
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Gorecki ,I do not know if this would help ,but a lot of sites are useing a code form you have to put in and a mass e-mail can not read it.Something like that.
I can only add ,Thank you for you hard work.
Now if I can just keep phone calls from computers to leave me alone.And mail that does not have my name on it ,out of my mail box.And people with card board signs on every street ,wanting money...and the tax man ,out of my pocket...and and and

Yeah, good idea but it (Visual Confirmation) and every security measure available has been in place since the forum was born. Confused

Love those phone calls too 'This is your last chance to extend the warranty on your car!'....ahh, I've never had a warranty on my car. '..your morgage?'...ahh I rent. 'better interest rate on your credit card?'....I belong to a credit union with a great rate.

Now I just need to figure out how to programatically make these creeps, call and spam each other and leave us the hell alone. Twisted Evil

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ,Now with thing being so bad ,now I get all these ,we can help you calls.Where were they when I needed help.I was just born at the wrong time...I got disco and two people to make a living.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: