Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping track of core language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Keeping track of core language Reply with quote

Hi
I am attempting to play jazz guitar now for over 6 years. I was a classical guitarist in a previous life which might explain the difficulties I have with improvisation. I never played blues when I was young, just progressed from Dylan to Bach etc.
I can learn solos but if I dont play them for a while I completly forget them. Same with ii-V language. I practice some of them even in all keys, next day I practice others and the others are forgotten.
So when I try to improvise I find that I can only remember very few of the language that I practiced.
How can you keep track of all this language?
memorary

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it`s a surprising thing, because, I assume, that when you could memorize a piece by Bach, it should be fairly easy to remember jazz licks. Of course, I understand that you have troubles to incomporate them into your improvised lines. Maybe a good idea for you would be to write a composed solo using a number of the licks you already know. Mark would call it a model solo. Maybe a chorus or two of a 12 bar blues. It should help the licks to stick in your memory. It would be filled with your favourite licks, so the rest is obvious... Smile Jiri.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: