Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tonequest
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more on the vast majority of 'tone' comes from the player and the equipment is only the seasoning.

But I have to admit I have a lot of fun playing with sound. Coming up with options for dimensional possiblities. It brings different things out of me and is a lot of fun.

I've been asked questions many times like 'how to I get a 70's Herb Ellis tone with a GuitarPort?' Laughing Let's see, get a Gibby 175 and make sure it's beat to crap. Don't change the strings or clean it for about 15 years, an old not so great sounding amp with the tone dialed down and an old tape recorder that doesn't have nearly the fidelity of today. THEN turn off the GuitarPort and give Herb a call so he can track it for you! Laughing my buns off!

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Reply with quote

bigdaddydannyq wrote:
Tone comes from inside. If any of us were to sit next to Wes , Joe or GB playing the same lick using the same set up we would all sound different. On any instrument the art of it comes from the nuances that we hear and how we feel the instrument. And after all the gadgets and amps are tried and pile up in the corner of my music study I seem to find myself playing my 56 es 175 through a 62 fender champ. Thats what makes me close my eyes and smile. And when I smile I feel good and when I feel good I can hear the true tone of my music comes through my hands. And that my friends is tone.

Dan,

Great seeing you here and thanks for participating in our new forum! With all due respect to guitar players and their perpetual fascination with this or that guitar, amplifier, and effects, you are 100% correct in concluding that the fundamental tone that defines your personality lies within. Of course, I do enjoy talking about gear just like anyone else. Smile

When you broaden the view to include other instrumentalists, this fact becomes even more apparent. Does anyone really think that Oscar, Miles, Trane or Bird would've have sounded different if they had been playing a different piano, trumpet, or sax? Maybe slightly, but I doubt it.

Another personal point I'll make is that, even though the sound of any electric guitar (including an archtop) is associated with amplification, I do all of my practicing unamplified and all of my recording directly in with no amp. What I find is that all of the subtle nuances in my playing are preserved and magnified by doing things that way. All for now...

- Mark
masanfe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I do not tell my wife anymore...Sometimes she says, is that a new guitar?? She thinks I buy anything that can be plugged...

However I am satisfied now with my selection of hardware and very busy with recording with mac
BarbNY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Reply with quote

bigdaddydannyq wrote:
Tone comes from inside. If any of us were to sit next to Wes , Joe or GB playing the same lick using the same set up we would all sound different. On any instrument the art of it comes from the nuances that we hear and how we feel the instrument. And after all the gadgets and amps are tried and pile up in the corner of my music study I seem to find myself playing my 56 es 175 through a 62 fender champ. Thats what makes me close my eyes and smile. And when I smile I feel good and when I feel good I can hear the true tone of my music comes through my hands. And that my friends is tone.

Very well said!!!! In the end, it's all about the music.
MRDMV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Gibson 175, fitted with a P90 or hum-bucker, and amplified via a vintage Fender or Gibson valve combo, is a difficult tone to better for jazz. The roll-call of great players deploying this combination testifies to personal tonal variation shining through what is fundamentally the essence of modern jazz guitar tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: