Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lessons By Mail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarbNY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Lessons By Mail Reply with quote

Well, I guess somebody has to be first, so I'll volunteer. Mark's LBM program is the best thing that ever happened to my playing, and then some. The concepts he conveys through his "coaching" and years spent finding the right "path" are unselfishly passed on to his students. Like so many others, I spent a lot of wasted time and money trying to learn jazz by first memorizing scales, arps and modes, and got nowhere. Mark's approach in teaching jazz as a "language" made so much sense, that I wondered why I had never come across a method book that did the same. Music is a language, and as with any language, first we learn the words by imitating others, and then we learn the grammatical rules behind the language. And what language! Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, George Benson, Kenny Burrell.....it doesn't get any better than this.
woland99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons By Mail Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:
Mark's LBM program is the best thing that ever happened to my playing, and then some.

One thing that convinced me to try Mark's lessons was expectation that
I would focus for 2 weeks on one tune and one set of concepts instead
of noodling aimlessly to whatever Aebersold's CDs or other backup
track I was in the mood for. And I have to say it worked. Just went
thru two weeks of listening, playing, humming and transcribing C-jam
blues. I have Yahoo Music service - so I downloaded 40 or so versions
of that tune and listened to them over and over again. I cannot imagine
any other set of circumstances when I would be able to stay focused
for such a long time.

JT
BarbNY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lessons By Mail Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
BarbNY wrote:
Mark's LBM program is the best thing that ever happened to my playing, and then some.

One thing that convinced me to try Mark's lessons was expectation that
I would focus for 2 weeks on one tune and one set of concepts instead
of noodling aimlessly to whatever Aebersold's CDs or other backup
track I was in the mood for. And I have to say it worked. Just went
thru two weeks of listening, playing, humming and transcribing C-jam
blues. I have Yahoo Music service - so I downloaded 40 or so versions
of that tune and listened to them over and over again. I cannot imagine
any other set of circumstances when I would be able to stay focused
for such a long time.

JT

JT

You hit it right on the head when you said "noodling aimlessly." We've all been there. You've described exactly what makes Mark's program so unique. If you can, check out the R&B course as well. (I know there is a detailed description on the VM site.) I was so happy I did, because it is loaded with great lines from a very diverse group of players and taught me so much.

Barbara
SBassman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed very bad at too much *noodling* and not enough focus on One Thing.

I need to take out my Bass LBM charts and dissect and study them again.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark's approach to teaching music is the ultimate way to go imo. There's so much learning material out there that may be perfectly valid, theoretically correct, logical etc.. but is very dry and academic sounding. The first thing I want is to hear is something that sounds good, inspires me play and is useable immediately in my playing. This is where Mark delivers the goods!

These days things get so broken down to the point that you have to first learn all the scales, theory, how to phrase, then eartraining etc..
Just by transcribing and learning tunes you develope all these areas in one shot. Just like all the greats did that you're studying. I'm not saying the other areas are not important and don't deserve any attention but it seems so over-hyped these days. I guess it sells a lot of books for publishers but to me it seems like putting the cart before the horse!
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have been taking the LBM lessons for almost four years, and, as Brad says, its the ultimate way to go. Also, there are two things that really complement the lessons.

The "Question Mark" or "Coach's Corner" series have helped me to organize my thoughts about how to improve as quickly as possible. Mark has spent a lot of time thinking about how to get someone to improve quickly, and his "plan" really works. Also, the Good Vibes Guitar Solos are amazing; they offer a wealth of knowledge in each one. Really great stuff!
MRDMV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know about others but I do just as well, if not better, without people looking over my shoulder or asking me to look at their left hand or their guitar as they play something. While some people need teachers to keep them motivated and on-task, I think Mark’s LBM students are probably able to motivate themselves. I realize that I’ll never be face-to-face with Mark, but I don’t need others to encourage me. I also enjoy the freedom of working at my own pace and I appreciate the ability to complete the lessons in as much time as it takes me.
nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The unique thing about Mark is that he teaches you how to teach yourself and achieve your goals in the SHORTEST TIME POSSIBLE. The key is to integrate all of his materials -- LBM, Coach's Corner -- Ask Mark -- Good Vibes Solos, etc. If you take all the ideas he has on the website, etc. and apply them to your Lessons by Mail, the results are amazing. He's really spent a lot of time figuring out the fastest way to get there, and he doesn't hesitate to share it.

Another thing I really like about LBM is the concept of finding your own voice. Mark shows you, in a really simple way, how to (a) figure out what you want to sound like, and (b) transcribe those mentors (and blends thereof) that will get you there. As a result, these lessons work for any style.

It's like the old Chinese proverb:

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you will find him on the back of a 27' Sea Ray drinking beer for the rest of his life.
thaydon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: LBM Reply with quote

Besides being a monster player and a great writer and teacher, Mark readily shares his music knowledge. He clarifies my questions and responds to my emails something i didn't really expect when i signed up.
The following is something i shared with him the other day.

In the last couple of lbm. it struck me that starting lines
on the 2nd, 4th and 5th etc. is helping me memorize and visualize
where to play on the fretboard and now the CAGED system (a modified version) makes sense, but what was missing from that system for me was i wasn't told what note to start on. a small but significant point! now i know what note to start on which has to do with making music not just visualization and it works for me. for example, now i can think of a 2-5-1 in 3rd position c major (to the left or right) and start lines on the note E, D etc. and 8th position c major starting on g (from last lesson 2-5-1).
the result is now i am accomplishing much more in 30 minutes a day than 2 hours a day before lbm.

thanks! Cool

Todd
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I took the Swing Blues course from Mark and now I am at lesson 22 of the R&B wing. There hasn't been a wasted lesson. Very little theory and a lot of actual real life ideas. My playing has improved a considerable amount since first taking the courses. Forget the theory books. They are all a waste of time. Learn the language by transcribing and/or jumping into one of Mark's courses.

Don MacArthur
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don MacArthur wrote:
First I took the Swing Blues course from Mark and now I am at lesson 22 of the R&B wing. There hasn't been a wasted lesson. Very little theory and a lot of actual real life ideas. My playing has improved a considerable amount since first taking the courses. Forget the theory books. They are all a waste of time. Learn the language by transcribing and/or jumping into one of Mark's courses.

Don MacArthur

+1 on real life ideas. I'm taking my 6th jazz course and the R&B wing concurrently. From the very beginning I knew this was going to be different than poring over theory books that offer little guidance on how to apply the grammar.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am about to find out if all you players are pulling my leg cuzz I just ordered Swing Blues. I just quit the guy that was trying to teach me how
Tie knotts in my strings playing Modes, Scales and arpeggios. I spend at least Three hours a night in the basement with my guitar so I expect to move right along here. How long did it take for you to finish all 24 lessons ??? Not that I Am in a hurry or anything.. I just enjoy learning new stuff.
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get s new lesson twice a month, so 24 lessons take one year to complete.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move, Tony. If you're practicing 3 hours a day you'll learn more in one year of Swing Blues than in a life time of the scales/modes/arps thing.
It will be evident from lesson #1 that you made the right decision.
Have fun!
odel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just signed up for this so I've yet to receive my first lesson but can I assume that for those of us who can't spend 3 hours a day on this, that we can extend the lessons over longer periods or, once signed up, do we have to lockstep into the two weekly cycle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Lessons by Mail All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: