Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G7 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woland99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: G7 question Reply with quote

I downloaded G7 demo and I it seems like much stronger
program than Finale PrintMusic and for almost the same price.
Thanks for the suggestion, Y'all!

I have quick question about ergonomics of editing notes.
I sould see vertical dragging was there - but is it possible to
change duration of notes my dragging them horizontally - or is there
some other convenient editing trick?

JT
BarbNY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: G7 question Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
I downloaded G7 demo and I it seems like much stronger
program than Finale PrintMusic and for almost the same price.
Thanks for the suggestion, Y'all!

I have quick question about ergonomics of editing notes.
I sould see vertical dragging was there - but is it possible to
change duration of notes my dragging them horizontally - or is there
some other convenient editing trick?

JT

JT,

Dragging notes horizontally only spreads the notes farther apart physically, allowing you more "room" in the measure. To change the duration of notes you have 2 choices: One is to use the "Keypad," which can be displayed by going to the "Window" menu at the top of the screen and selecting "Keypad." You'll see the various note durations there and by clicking on a note in your score and then clicking on a note duration on the keypad, it will change the note. If you're looking for an easier way to do this, you'll notice that the Keypad is set up to resemble the number keys on the right side of your computer's keyboard. Simply click on the corresponding note (as long as your score's note is highlighted), and you can change it from there. Basically, G7 has 2 ways of entering notes: one is mouse-oriented and the other is keyboard oriented. The choice is up to you.

Barbara
woland99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: G7 question Reply with quote

Barb - thanks for reply - I was hoping that there would be sth like
quasi piano roll - like BIAB has - that allows you to change durations
of notes in notation editor window. But s'OK - G7 looks like a well done
program and I will probably end up buying G& rather than Finale PrintMusic.

JT
nylenny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT, G7 is an amazing program. I've tried a few others and keep coming back to G7.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

len is your version of g7 the kontact edition. i never used a program like this. i went to the website doesn't say to much about the program?

let your fingers do the walking i do
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is, but I don't use the player that much. The samples don't sound great to my ear. To get midi sounds, I use either Band in a Box, Sonar, Reason, or Finale, all of which I prefer to G7 for that purpose. However, the full-featured Sibelius (G7 is a scaled down version of Sibelius) may have better samples.
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corky said:

Quote:
is your version of g7 the kontact edition?

I believe the Kontact player is Sibelius' sequencer engine. I really just use G7 for notation -- like a word processor for music. If I am interested in using a sequencer, there are other products I like much better. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses:

Band in a Box: Easy and it does the arrangement for you. All you have to do is input the chords and the style. There are some nice options and bells and whistles in the new edition.

Finale: Excellent samples. Can be time consuming to do an arrangement.

Reason: Fantastic drum sequencer (Redrum). Cannot record into it.

Sonar: Excellent midi support in a desktop recording package. Much better than Protools IMHO -- Protools does not support midi (at least V7 doesn't).
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
[b]
Sonar: Excellent midi support in a desktop recording package. Much better than Protools IMHO -- Protools does not support midi (at least V7 doesn't).

Lenny,

Pro Tools absolutely supports midi. I'm using PT LE Ver 7.4.

In fact, I just used it tonight with the 'PianoTeq' virtual piano software
and a Roland RD-700 midi Kybd to complete a 'Domenico Scarlatti' (18th Century composer) project.

This sample uses an Anton Walter pianoforte (18th Century keyboard instrument favored by Mozart)
http://specialneedsinmusic.com/audio/piano/pianoteq/pianoteq_scarlatti/pnoteq_walter_Scarlatti_Sonata_K3_L378_fin_mix4_alti_revised.mp3

Here is another 'midi' sample created in Pro Tools with 'PianoTeq' virtual piano software performed by my pianist colleague Kaila;

The 'Fantasia Baetica' by Manual de Falla;

http://specialneedsinmusic.com/audio/piano/pianoteq/pianoteq_de_falla/pnoteq_de_falla_fantasia_baetica_alt.mp3

PianoTeq;
http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq_addons

These virtual instruments are RTAS midi controlled plug-ins
for Pro Tools (available in VST and AU plug-in formats too).

-Kb

-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am; edited 4 times in total
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote

Quote:
Pro Tools absolutely supports midi.

I stand corrected. Can you program midi in pro tools easily, however? For example, in Sonar, I can program using a keyboard, piano roll, or sequence list. Reason is pure midi. I apologize for asking such a simple question, but I sold my pro-tools rig after I found other software that worked better for me, so I can't check it out myself.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
Can you program midi in pro tools easily, however?

Digidesign is at a 'midi crossroads' with the new Pro Tools 8;

Midi Production video;
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=194&categoryid=22&itemid=channelid:721;videoid:1524;&bPrintOnly=1&langid=100
( or at youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsY_if2bckI )

New Score Editor;
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=194&categoryid=22&itemid=channelid:721;videoid:1525;&bPrintOnly=1&langid=100
( or at youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9JDgyGwY8 )

Interesting feature (since ver 7.3) is the 'direct link' to Sibelius or G7.
My understanding is Pro Tools creates a standard midi file and ports the file to Sibelius. That may have changed with ver 8, the new score editor,
and the 'improved' Sibelius integration.

This 'integration' has come about more than likely because Avid, Digidesign's parent company, has acquired Sibelius.
A similar integration occurred when Avid acquired M-audio, then the Pro Tools M-Powered software appeared with support for M-Audio interfaces.

I'm a long time (on/off) Finale user, but I'm considering to get Sibelius full or G7 (gee, more money to spend 'Shocked')

Pro Tools is a 'Rewire Host' to support 'Reason' and other such apps, and I like it's integration
with DrumCore from Submersible Music;

http://www.drumcore.com/

I had considered to do our 'Fantasia Baetica project' in Logic Studio, but Logic has some strangeness about the way it handles 6/8 time.
I also like that I could easily move from absolute time to music time (bars and beats) in Pro Tools. Convenient to deal with certain parts
of the music editing.

I still very much like 'Dr T's KCS sequencer' on my Atari 1040st. Back then,
I really appreciated the data list approach to midi editing (it had a graphic Score editor too 'Cool' ).

-Kb
-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kb. It looks like Protools has made some real midi strides in the last couple of years.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

len i have a version of band in a box that i had in my pc will it work in my mac? and i ordered G7 today but its on back order there selling like hot cakes. i got my email that they were in stock by the time i called to order g7 they were sold out. i'm first on the list for friday.

nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:

Quote:
len i have a version of band in a box that i had in my pc will it work in my mac?

Hi Corky, I only am familiar with version 2007.5 (which I think is the latest and greatest). Version 2007.5 for Windows unfortunately doesn't work with Mac.

You will dig G7 -- great software at a terriffic price.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering why on g7 the guitar neck is upside down. is there a way to turn it around? or os it right side up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: