Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what are people listening to? (Other than Mark)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: So what are people listening to? (Other than Mark) Reply with quote

I've been on an Oscar Peterson craze lately.

Last night I picked up Joe Pass "My Song", I've just started listening to. And Grant Green " Born to be Blue" I haven't even opened yet.

Anything really cool spinning in the CD player?

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
woland99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are people listening to? (Other than Mark) Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
I've been on an Oscar Peterson craze lately.

Same here - just picked his 4-CD "Live at Blue Note" and also "Night Train".
Other than that I listened recently to Orchestra Baobab - fantastic African
band from Senegal. They were mostly active in 1970s - they play very
nice mixture of older style Cuban music - son - and African music with
some Mid0-Eastern feel to it. Highly recommended - esp. "Bamba" and
"Pirates Choice".
Go to:
http://orchestrabaobab.calabashmusic.com/
scroll down to "Bamba" album and check the samples.
All their tracks are about 6 minutes long - they allow music to simmer
slowly - their lead guitarist Barthelemy Attisso is amazing.

JT
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice so much that I rarely listen to music at home anymore. I spend about an hour on the road every work day, so that's when I do my listening. I have so many CD's I usually just grab one and go. Yesterday was Bag's Groove, featuring Miles. I'll have to listen to Freight Trane next, seeing how that is the current lesson from Mark.

Speaking of African, I have a bunch of Soukos and High Life CD's. The guitar style is in a class of its own.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always got a Grant Green cd close by. As you could probably quess "Solid" is one of my all time favorite recordings. Gorecki, you're in for a treat. I really like his version of Parker's Cool Blues on there.

I've got some Mark Whitfield in heavy rotation right now also. The Marksman, True Blue and 7th Ave Stroll.

Burrell - On View at the 5 Spot

Hank Mobley - Workout (w/G. Green on guitar)

Wes - Full House

These are getting the most of my listening time for now.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
I've always got a Grant Green cd close by. As you could probably quess "Solid" is one of my all time favorite recordings. Gorecki, you're in for a treat. I really like his version of Parker's Cool Blues on there.

Well the GG CD is a total winner, interesting sound he has. It's not so traditional dulled down jazz guitar so many people try to achieve these days. Guess in the era of recording, it wasn't really Cliche' yet.

Sounds like I'm going to be picking up "Solid" in the near future! Wink

woland99 wrote:
Same here - just picked his 4-CD "Live at Blue Note" and also "Night Train".

I just love the "Live at Blue Note" disks. Oscar and Herby play off each other in such fun ways many times. Sweet Georgia Brown is awesome! I think it's my favorite if for any other reason they're qreat sounding recordings.

Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Well the GG CD is a total winner, interesting sound he has. It's not so traditional dulled down jazz guitar so many people try to achieve these days. Guess in the era of recording, it wasn't really Cliche' yet.

Sounds like I'm going to be picking up "Solid" in the near future! Wink

"Solid" is kick a$# if you like uptempo, bluesy, hardbop guitar. I doesn't hurt that Trane's rhythm section is backing him w/Joe Henderson on tenor. Also check out "Matador" which has the same rhythm section and is very good.

Hank Mobley's "Workout" is another that I really like with Green. Mile's band (Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones) is the rhythm section on this one. Mobley and Green are both such great lyrical players it just makes this recording really work for me. I wish they could've done more sessions together.

Also, if you haven't heard it, check out the tune "Back Talk" on Jimmy Smith's "I'm Moving On" record. This is the most intense, outside stuff I've ever heard Green play. Check out the end where he's trading choruses with Smith. They both are just really feeding off each other.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Danny Caron? Reply with quote

Danny Caron

Here's a guy that I listen to all the time and is way too "under the radar" for some reason. His first solo cd "Good Hands" is one of my favorite cd's that I've purchased in the last 5 years. He directed, toured and recorded in Charles Brown's band all through the 90's and also played on some of John Lee Hookers stuff from the same period.

He's another one that plays with a brighter tone, similar to Grant Green.
His style is equal parts jazz and blues with a little groove thrown in for good measure. I'm not sure what he's up to these days but I believe he's playing locally around the San Fran area. Hopefully he has another solo cd in the works.

Here's his homepage:
http://www.dannycaron.com/

You can hear some of Mr. Good Hands here:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/dannycaron
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Danny Caron? Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
Danny Caron

Here's a guy that I listen to all the time and is way too "under the radar" for some reason. His first solo cd "Good Hands" is one of my favorite cd's that I've purchased in the last 5 years. He directed, toured and recorded in Charles Brown's band all through the 90's and also played on some of John Lee Hookers stuff from the same period.

Brad,

I haven't heard from Danny in some time, but we were communicating on a regular basis a couple of years ago. Among other things, he teaches at a Jazz School in the East Bay (Berkeley, CA). Danny told me that Mimi Fox was also teaching there at the time.

I just read that DC will be on vocalist Pamela Rose's new CD. Since you're a blues fan, perhaps you're aware of Chris Cobb, one of the main blues guys in that area? He studied with me for many years when we lived in San Francisco, and performed/recorded often with Pamela. I've been very fortunate to have coached both Chris and later Robbie Laws (arguably the top blues guitarist in the Pacific Northwest) after we relocated to the Portland area back in '94. Two brilliant, dynamic blues players. All for now...

- Mark
MRDMV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to listen to these CDs when I'm working on my tractor or traveling in my car. These albums inspire me. Spring Heel Jack: Disappeared; Franz Koglmann: Fear Death By Water; Guillermo Gregorio: Faktura; Andrew Hill: Dusk; Dave Douglas: El Trilogy, and Dave Douglas: Mountain Passages.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Thanks for the info on DC. If you talk to him again tell him one of your buds in VA is waiting eagerly for another solo cd!
I'm not familar with Chris Cobb but it sounds like someone I should check out. Thanks!

------------------------

I just picked up a couple new cd's that are blowing me away.

Sonny Side Up (Diz, Stitt, Rollins, Ray Bryant) and Boss Tenors (Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt). I'm late to the party with these 2 classics but WOW, amazing stuff. These are just a lot of fun to listen to.
John G

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:

Sonny Side Up (Diz, Stitt, Rollins, Ray Bryant) and Boss Tenors (Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt). I'm late to the party with these 2 classics but WOW, amazing stuff. These are just a lot of fun to listen to.

Those are two of my absolute favorites! A friend of mine at work who is just starting to get into jazz asked me to recommend 10 albums to her, and those 2 were on the list I gave her!

One of the first sax solos I ever transcribed was Gene Ammons' solo on There Is No Greater Love, and I've stolen several great phrases from After Hours on Sonny Side Up.

Those two albums are worth spending a lot of time with! Very Happy
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they've definitely made my top 10! I'm dying to sit down with After Hours and Eternal Triangle and cop some stuff. Eternal is just smokin from start to finish.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:

If you like Boss Tenors, I can recommend Boss Tenor, which was released one year prior.
thaydon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: listening to Reply with quote

I have been listening to Lou Donaldson's Blues Walk CD, Cannonball Adderley's Bossa Nova Cd, Anita O'Day's Sings The Winners and although she gets a great deal of criticism, Jane Monheit-Taking a Chance on Love.

Todd
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did a quick check last night to pickup Brad's GG recommendation "Solid" and came up dry. At the same time I had "Matador" in hand and sat it back down..not knowing (heard it's good since) but I did walk away with "Tal Farlow - The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow" and "Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar".

The Montgomery I already had and can't find. Huh? Tal Farlow is great, got some extra retake tracks of him screwing up! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: