Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guitars
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edwardo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: New guitars Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to the forum. I am a recycled guitar player who played pro for 17 years than got a real job, family etc and now picking it up again after a 25 year leave.
I am recording now for fun and a little cash.
I find the guitars now to be very poor workmanship.( At least the last few I have bought.)
I have owned Fender , Gibson mostly while in the bands. Since my comeback I have had nothing but trouble with at least half the guitars I bought. eg: a 2000 Les Paul standard - 11 fret lifted at both ends, plus neck problems. A brand new Fender Highway 1- the nut wore down to the fret ( B string ) on the first job we did. What the heck are these made of?
I have 4 other guitars and the gretsch Jet job is standing up great as well as my other older fenders.
I really think there is a reson to have warrenty now a days.
How long would a guitar last like these in Joe Satriana hands?

Ed
woland99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: New guitars Reply with quote

Edwardo wrote:
I find the guitars now to be very poor workmanship.( At least the last few I have bought.)

Some are - that is true. Fender and Gibson are pushed very hard to
compete with cheap Asian imports. PRS seems to keep decent quality
but at a high-price. G&L ASATs are good. Higher end Ibanez guitars.
I think that one way to get good instrument these days is to set aside
some money and have it custom made. I ordered a Klein-like headless
guitar from a local luthier here in Austin. Friend of mine and local musician
that worked for many years in a "boutique" guitar store here in Austin
and has deep knowledge of guitars ordered same guitar and thought it
was the best solid body guitar he ever played.
I think that guitar players are generally spoiled - we expect to buy high
quality instruments and rarely pay more than 1000. Any other musician
- sax players, violinists or cellist pay many times more to get decent
instruments.

JT
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, welcome!

It's not just you. Basically what I've been finding is the imports 'for the money' are better guitars. Keeping price into consideration provide much more value on average.

I have to be totally honest, Gibson broke my heart! I use to be a hardcore Gibson guy. Gibson was the only thing I would play. My first *good* guitar was a '70s Les Paul Standard, Wine Red. MAN I loved that guitar! Now, I only have one Gibson in the house and realistically it's not even a Gibson, it was designed by and built by Wayne Charvel with Gibson's name on it. And they only made 200 of those. I have #93.

Somewhere in the '80s, it all went to hell. They moved to Tenn and went largely to automation. And started producing garbage across the board!

Since then they've redeemed themselves ever so slightly. So now you *might* get a good guitar for $3,500 - $5,500 if you're lucky! And if that was the cost when I got that first Les Paul eons ago, it would have never happened, too far out of reach!

Again, they broke my heart. Confused

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
BarbNY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: New Guitars Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Hey man, welcome!

It's not just you. Basically what I've been finding is the imports 'for the money' are better guitars. Keeping price into consideration provide much more value on average.

I have to be totally honest, Gibson broke my heart! I use to be a hardcore Gibson guy. Gibson was the only thing I would play. My first *good* guitar was a '70s Les Paul Standard, Wine Red. MAN I loved that guitar! Now, I only have one Gibson in the house and realistically it's not even a Gibson, it was designed by and built by Wayne Charvel with Gibson's name on it. And they only made 200 of those. I have #93.

Somewhere in the '80s, it all went to hell. They moved to Tenn and went largely to automation. And started producing garbage across the board!

Since then they've redeemed themselves ever so slightly. So now you *might* get a good guitar for $3,500 - $5,500 if you're lucky! And if that was the cost when I got that first Les Paul eons ago, it would have never happened, too far out of reach!

Again, they broke my heart. Confused

Brian,

I'm right with you regarding Gibson. For years, I revered their guitars and refused to buy any guitar not made in the U.S. Not any more. About 8 years ago I bought a Gibson 125 at a local guitar show for about $1,400, and it seemed great...for a while. Then, the luthier who maintains my guitars told me he had adjusted the truss rod as far as he could, and suggested I send the guitar back to Gibson to have them replace the neck. The dealer I purchased the guitar from did just that, and after a 3-month wait, I got the guitar back...along with scratches that were never there before and excess glue all over the joint! Talk about heart-broken! Shortly after that I sold the guitar, vowing never to buy Gibson again.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guitars Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:
I got the guitar back...along with scratches that were never there before and excess glue all over the joint! Talk about heart-broken! Shortly after that I sold the guitar, vowing never to buy Gibson again.

That's just sad! Now if Gibson offered me an endorsement, why certainly I would take it. Laughing But otherwise, I don't expect to give them any money either.

It's fortunate we've reached an era of so many custom builders that options are plentiful if a person's going to spend middle four figures on a guitar.

Granted I probably would have trouble finding someone willing to build me a purple quilt top arch. (yeah I like the idea.. Razz ) And I'm certainly not ready to take it on myself. Arch's are beyond my building skill set and probably will be for a while.

By the way, your JB model looks pretty slick there Barb! Wink

BarbNY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guitars Reply with quote

"By the way, your JB model looks pretty slick there Barb! Wink"

Thanks, Brian. I met Roger Sadowsky through Jimmy Bruno a few years ago, and he is the most amazing guy in the business. Not only a great builder with a fantastic rep for doing repairs, but he is totally accessible via phone or e-mail. His staff is the same. What a huge difference dealing with a small shop vs. the big guys like Gibson. There is nothing that compares with the personalized service that Sadowsky offers....both before and after a sale. The JB model has become my "go to" guitar. Apparently, others think the same. The incredibly talented Wolf Marshall is now an endorser and raves about the guitar on his site. If you have an opportunity, check out Sadowsky's site to see the many fine instruments (solid bodies & basses, too) he offers.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've nosed through their guitars a few times. I love how they most often use ebony boards. That's my favorite, I've worn out rosewood boards. Laughing

I'm sure they/he's a class act. Saw the bass player my little brother works with most often these days as well. Small world. Razz

haowens2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Custom guitars Reply with quote

Take a look at Eastman Guitars. Great buy for the money. I was a Gibson biggot for many years. I owned a 335 a 175 and a Johnny Smith model that I bought from Johnny. I had Tom Ribbecke build me a custom guitar and I have not even opened that cases on the Gibsons since delivery of my Ribbecke four years ago.

Life is good! Very Happy
woland99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at d'Angelico Excels - they had $800 special now almost
all models are gone except for double humbucker 16" jazz box:
http://www.dangelicodirect.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=6

JT
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Custom guitars Reply with quote

haowens2 wrote:
Take a look at Eastman Guitars. Great buy for the money. I was a Gibson biggot for many years. I owned a 335 a 175 and a Johnny Smith model that I bought from Johnny. I had Tom Ribbecke build me a custom guitar and I have not even opened that cases on the Gibsons since delivery of my Ribbecke four years ago.

Life is good! Very Happy

Actually, they're (Eastman) just up the road from me. Laughing I haven't played one though. No one around here I know has one. Confused I wanted a 175 for many years and never did get one, now, for what they want for it...pfft, they can keep it. Laughing my buns off!

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
Take a look at d'Angelico Excels - they had $800 special now almost
all models are gone except for double humbucker 16" jazz box:
http://www.dangelicodirect.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=6

I've heard good things, again never played one. But a couple guys elsewhere really like theres. I think rkelley40 and I are all most half of the guys around here who would have interest. Confused

John G

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Custom guitars Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
haowens2 wrote:

Life is good! Very Happy

Actually, they're (Eastman) just up the road from me. Laughing I haven't played one though. No one around here I know has one. Confused I wanted a 175 for many years and never did get one, now, for what they want for it...pfft, they can keep it. Laughing my buns off!

I've got an Eastman 810CE Anniversary Edition and it is a real beauty. It plays so well, sounds great plugged in or acoustic, and looks real smooth with the volume and tone controls hidden on the underside of the pickguard. If you have never played one I highly recommend you give them a try, especially considering your location.

I've had more than one Gibson owner admit their jealousy Laughing
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Eastman 905CE three months ago. It has great tone and a beautiful finish. Brian, you're probably less than 20 minutes from their facility in Clarksburg. Just think, you could try out every guitar in their inventory!
marksound

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Myka Guitars. I've never played one, but I will. He's currently moving his shop from NY to WA, but he'll be back up and running soon.

Hey Gorecki, I bet David would build that purple quilt archtop for ya. Wink
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
I'm a big fan of Myka Guitars. I've never played one, but I will. He's currently moving his shop from NY to WA, but he'll be back up and running soon.

Hey Gorecki, I bet David would build that purple quilt archtop for ya. Wink

Wow, David's moving coast to coast? Shocked He must have a good reason.

Oh believe me, I've drooled over his work too many times and had the same thought. But I haven't seen him do a 3" arch and don't really know if that would be his cup of tea? His chambered are gorgeous and I still love the Dragon Fly! Awesome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: