Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight Reply with quote

I was in one of the big box stores last week and was finally able to give one of these a quick try. I was really impressed with the tone and build quality of the head. The clean was very warm, tubey and Burrell-like which is always a good thing. It has about all the gigging/recording features I'd want and is very small and lightweight (7 lbs). The matching 1-12 cab is only 17lbs.

So what's the scoop....anyone gigging one of these? So far all the reviews have been very positive. I've got one on the way to evaluate and should have it by the weekend. If anyones interested I'll let you know how it works out.

later!
Brad

woland99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
I've got one on the way to evaluate and should have it by the weekend. If anyones interested I'll let you know how it works out.

Absolutely. I am definitely interested. That amp was dsicussed few times
on rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz and consensus seemed to be - "good head
and soso cab". But RMMGJ is a Clarus country - mostly.

JT
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely curious. But from the sounds of it, if the cab is only 17 lbs strongly suggest either the 12" is not so hot or the cab itself is fairly light duty. Most 12" drivers alone are about 10-14 lbs. Not leaving much weight for wood. Confused

But, the driver could always be swapped out. Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
But, the driver could always be swapped out. Wink

Or the whole speaker cab replaced if needed. The cab is not expensive at all which is why I went ahead and ordered it also. It uses somekind of lightweight neodymium magnet for the speaker. Some people are fine with the cab and others are not. I'll just have to see how it works out. Later.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far I'm real pleased with this amp. Great clean sound, very tube like, nice choice of effects and even the overdrive channel is quite good. The clean channel has 2 voicings. One reminds me of an Ampeg clean(dark and warm) and the other is more Twin-like. Both sound very good!

The OD channel is voiced more for blues so you'll need something else if you're into the head bang, mosh pit thing Laughing It does do a smokey, slightly dirty, blues tone pretty well. The OD does get noisy if you turn it up much past 12 o'clock. This is really a non-issue with me since I never play with that much OD but on R&B/funk type gigs sometimes I like a little hair on it.

I've got no-issue with the build quality of the head or cab. The cab sounds good and has no annoying rattles or vibrations. It is very light weight and I think that turns some people off who are used to lugging heavy amps/cabs around but to my ears it sounds good and does the job well (and saves my back!).

We're still on the honeymoon here so we'll see how it holds up to daily use. As soon as I get a few spare minutes I'll get some sound clips posted.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
We're still on the honeymoon here so we'll see how it holds up to daily use. As soon as I get a few spare minutes I'll get some sound clips posted.

That's cool, be curious in how it handles gigging both in sound and in durability. Too often things I didn't expect to gig well did great. One of my amps is a little Line6 30w combo I had no expectation would even keep up (it was only intended for practice) and it blew me away how well it did. Gear is getting so good these days! Razz

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: