Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secret to Transcribing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarbNY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with G7 Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
BarbNY wrote:
You can find how to notate picking directions in G7 by using the Keypad. The 4th button from the left (on top) is the "articulation" button, and you'll see the up (up bow) and down (down bow) symbols right there. To notate circled string numbers, go to "Create" & scroll down to "Special symbol." Scroll down to the line following "Guitar" and you'll see the circled string choices there. (A short-cut would be to simply hit "Z" on your keyboard & the symbols will display.) Hope this helps.

Barbara,

Great seeing you here! Your disdain for poorly-written software manuals is showing and clearly evident in that post Laughing.

It's articulate and packed with valuable information, so much so that it reads the way a great blues or jazz solo should sound, with not one wasted note (word) to be found. No surprise to me, though. It's what I've come to expect from you. Hope to see more of your posts in the near future, and thanks for participating in our new forum.

- Mark

Mark,

You're being way too kind Smile Actually, the G7 manual is one of the better ones out there. Most of what I learned to do simply came from browsing the menus. It's pretty intuitive. Now those Korg digital recorder manuals are another animal altogether Sad So glad you and Brian put this forum together. I know it'll be a wonderful resource for all fans of VM!

Barbara
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with G7 Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:

You're being way too kind Smile Actually, the G7 manual is one of the better ones out there. Most of what I learned to do simply came from browsing the menus. It's pretty intuitive. Now those Korg digital recorder manuals are another animal altogether Sad So glad you and Brian put this forum together. I know it'll be a wonderful resource for all fans of VM!

Hi Barb!

Sounds to me like you and my better half would get along REALLY well or completely butt heads! Laughing She's done the manuals for many ware's I've written. But it's a shame because no one ever actually reads them! Rolling Eyes

I've been very unhappy with user manuals for music equipment so many times! Being obviously not proofed because they didn't bother with a spell checker let alone if it makes any sense! Laughing

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
BarbNY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with G7 Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
BarbNY wrote:

Hi Barb!

Sounds to me like you and my better half would get along REALLY well or completely butt heads! Laughing She's done the manuals for many ware's I've written. But it's a shame because no one ever actually reads them! Rolling Eyes

I've been very unhappy with user manuals for music equipment so many times! Being obviously not proofed because they didn't bother with a spell checker let alone if it makes any sense! Laughing

Hi Brian,

I always appreciate a well-written manual...even with typos Laughing Unfortunately, too many of the music equipment manuals assume knowledge up front, and there are many of us who are using the equipment for the first time. A simple, step-by-step approach would be heaven. (Years ago I owned a Mazda RX7, and the manual that came with it was obviously written by someone who did not speak English and was using a dictionary to literally translate different phrases. Hilarious! I only wish I had kept it. ) Assure your better half that there are people out there who do read the manuals Very Happy Great to talk to you!

Barbara
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with G7 Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:
Assure your better half that there are people out there who do read the manuals Very Happy Great to talk to you!

In Government work? No they don't, they just call me! Laughing my buns off!

You too! Wink

woland99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Looks like you've mastered BIAB. I have but rudimentary knowledge so far. Are you using the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas to play your G7 compositions? The sounds really improved when I switched over to VSC from the lousy sound synth that ships with XP.

Hi Larry,

I use Audigy2 ZS card on my laptop and various soundfont files.
Problem with large soundfont is they eat memory so for just
practising with BIAB I use Coyote ForteDXi:
http://www.pgmusic.com/fortedxi.htm
It is cheap - it does not consume much memory and playback is
acceptable.

JT
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
acceptable.

Just to throw in my 2 cents. The forte plugin is a very helpful and inexpensive add on (just wished my ProteusX2 worked with BiaB) but it uses giga samples and the amount of memory and processor that it uses can very in HUGE ways depending on the samples. The shell itself is thin but if you use 192k samples, it can bring a system to its knees! One of the biggest complaints about Tascam's Gigastudio is it is a resource pig, but it's because of the samples more than the tool.

woland99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:

Just to throw in my 2 cents. The forte plugin is a very helpful and inexpensive add on (just wished my ProteusX2 worked with BiaB) but it uses giga samples and the amount of memory and processor that it uses can very in HUGE ways depending on the samples.

You obviously know bout computer music more than I do.
I based my opinion on comparison with sfz:
http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm
that allows you to load soundfonts into BIAB as DXi.
Regular way of using soundfonts (not thru DXi) works ok with older BIAB
but with BIAB 2007 that uses RealDrums samples the only way to avoid
synchronization problems was to use DXi. It was my observation that
Forte was using less memory than sfz. VSC DXi may be the most efficient
but it sounds like very cheap keyboard compared to Forte (which merely
sounds like somewhat cheap one).

JT
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
acceptable.

JT

Thanks Woland,

I didn't know about Coyote.
woland99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is sth that may be the interesting tool for BIAB, sequencing
VSTi - it can even double as sound interface (has mic and instrument ins):
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=4509
They said 750 Euro and availability is Aug'07.
Roland's URL is here:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/SonicCell/

Pretty pricey but may be the ultimate solution esp b/c
"SonicCell’s internal sound bank can even be expanded and
customized via its two internal SRX expansion bays"

JT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: