Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One of the lucky guys who studies with Mark in person

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: One of the lucky guys who studies with Mark in person Reply with quote

Just a quick hello and self-introduction. I'm Don Mitchell, I live here in a suburb of Portland, Oregon close to Mark, and have studied with him for many years. Please check out my web site. I've said a lot of complimentary things there about Mark, to whom I owe a great deal.

What a terrific idea this forum is!

Don
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don!

Took a look at your website, nice! Thumbs Up!

Acts as a nice 'intro to Don' so to speak.

Glad to have ya here!

Peace!

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Don Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Hi Don!

Took a look at your website, nice! Thumbs Up!

Acts as a nice 'intro to Don' so to speak.

Glad to have ya here!

Peace!

Thanks for checking out my web site, and the "thumbs up." Also, a BIG thanks for puting up this forum--very nicely done! And long overdue. There are so many of us who have benefitted so much from Mark's amazing work ethic and inspiration. It will be nice to share ideas with each other, or just shoot the musical breeze.

Cheers,

Don
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: One of the lucky guys who studies with Mark in person Reply with quote

Don Mitchell wrote:
Just a quick hello and self-introduction. I'm Don Mitchell, I live here in a suburb of Portland, Oregon close to Mark, and have studied with him for many years. Please check out my web site. I've said a lot of complimentary things there about Mark, to whom I owe a great deal. What a terrific idea this forum is!

Don,

Terrific seeing you here, my friend! We're attempting to build something very special with our new forum, and with your extensive music and literary background, your contributions will be highly appreciated.

To everyone else...

I can't say enough great things about Don, as a player, vocalist, arranger, literary writer, etc. Just one of the nicest, most sincere guys you'd ever want to meet, and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to coach him. He has a passion for music, an abundance of knowledge to share, and is a skilled communicator. We are very fortunate to have him here.

But there's much more. Back in '97, it was Don (along with a couple of friends) who suggested to me that I consider launching a website in order to share my teaching methods and playing philosophies with others. Largely due to their encouragement and belief in my ability, I went ahead and launched the Vision Music website later that year. Then the artistic obsession took over and the rest is sort of history, but I'm sure that Don can clearly recall when VM was a 10-12 page site and his coach felt like the "caboose on the web train." Laughing

All for now, folks. I just felt that it was very important for you to know more about Mr. Mitchell, as we extend to him a warm welcome to the Vision Music Community Forum!

- Mark
Don Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: One of the lucky guys who studies with Mark in person Reply with quote

Quote:

But there's much more. Back in '97, it was Don (along with a couple of friends) who suggested to me that I consider launching a website in order to share my teaching methods and playing philosophies with others. Largely due to their encouragement and belief in my ability, I went ahead and launched the Vision Music website later that year. Then the artistic obsession took over and the rest is sort of history, but I'm sure that Don can clearly recall when VM was a 10-12 page site and his coach felt like the "caboose on the web train." Laughing
- Mark

Thanks for your kind words, Mark.

You know, I also remember how important the usenet guitar newsgroups were in getting things going until certain people with exclusionary attitudes created a hostile atmosphere for you. With this forum, you've truly gotten the last laugh.

I look forward to joining the conversations here, and meeting lots of new musical friends.

Don
woland99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don - since you like bossa here is book that you may be not aware of:
The Brazilian Guitar Book by Nelson Faria
http://www.shermusic.com/brazguit.htm

It was recommended to me by Brazillian guitarist - Daniel Carneiro
as the best compendium of Brazilian rhythms arranged for guitar.
Daniel lived in Austin for a while - now he is in LA - if you are ever
there look him up - he is very good - here's the website of his band
New Cycle:
http://www.myspace.com/newcycle

JT
Don Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
Hi Don - since you like bossa here is book that you may be not aware of:
The Brazilian Guitar Book by Nelson Faria
http://www.shermusic.com/brazguit.htm

It was recommended to me by Brazillian guitarist - Daniel Carneiro
as the best compendium of Brazilian rhythms arranged for guitar.
Daniel lived in Austin for a while - now he is in LA - if you are ever
there look him up - he is very good - here's the website of his band
New Cycle:
http://www.myspace.com/newcycle

JT

Thanks for the recommendation. That's one I don't have.

My own recommendation to anyone who's interested in brazillian guitar is Luiz Bonfa. My own study of Bonfa's playing style comes from the teaching of Howard Morgen, who brilliantly dissected the elements and came up with nifty exercises for getting them under one's fingers in his book, "Concepts". Bonfa came up with a way of separating the parts of bassline, chord fragment accompaniment, and melody that heightens the different feel of each part so as to give the illusion of different people playing each part. This requires differences in dynamics as well as timing. The bass line must be rock solid, on the beat. The chord fragment (often just two notes of the chord) should be of lighter volume (kind of brushed with the edges of the fingernails) and syncopated against the bass. The melody must be emphasized with louder rest strokes than all the other parts, and be highly syncopated against the bass and accompaniment. Tuck Andress is another guy who talks about this independance of feel. It's tough to make happen, but when it works, it's magic.

Don
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Mitchell wrote:
My own recommendation to anyone who's interested in brazillian guitar is Luiz Bonfa. My own study of Bonfa's playing style comes from the teaching of Howard Morgen, who brilliantly dissected the elements and came up with nifty exercises for getting them under one's fingers in his book, "Concepts". Bonfa came up with a way of separating the parts of bassline, chord fragment accompaniment, and melody that heightens the different feel of each part so as to give the illusion of different people playing each part. This requires differences in dynamics as well as timing. The bass line must be rock solid, on the beat. The chord fragment (often just two notes of the chord) should be of lighter volume (kind of brushed with the edges of the fingernails) and syncopated against the bass. The melody must be emphasized with louder rest strokes than all the other parts, and be highly syncopated against the bass and accompaniment. Tuck Andress is another guy who talks about this independance of feel. It's tough to make happen, but when it works, it's magic.

Don,

One nylon-string fingerstylist whom you didn't mention and who shares those very same traits is Jeff Linsky, whom we both admire. As you know, I had the opportunity to interview Jeff for the Nov '06 cover of Just Jazz Guitar Magazine. Linsky is an extremely communicative individual, and I fully intend to invite him to participate in our forum and share some of his vast knowledge down the road.

- Mark
Don Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
One nylon-string fingerstylist whom you didn't mention and who shares those very same traits is Jeff Linsky, whom we both admire. As you know, I had the opportunity to interview Jeff for the Nov '06 cover of Just Jazz Guitar Magazine. Linsky is an extremely communicative individual, and I fully intend to invite him to participate in our forum and share some of his vast knowledge down the road.

- Mark

Linsky--absolutely! Visit the "influences" page on my web site and you'll see I have extravagant things to say about Jeff. He's been a huge inspiration to me in the area of polyphonic improvization, something very few solo performers do.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: