Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy off the rack or custom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Buy off the rack or custom Reply with quote

I waited quite awhile before buying my equiptment....I went old school ..Tube amps 50-60 style..and had a hand in the build of two of my guitars..one strat style and one tele style....don't get me wrong I have guitars off the rack ,too.Love all of them...but the ones I was a part of are really special to me, I feel like they are a part of me.Of course you need to know what you want....builders really don't like to hear the words how would you do it or just build it your way.....If you have a idea that is bad they will try to talk you out of it .I know money is always a factor ,but if there is a wil there is a way.Three of my amps are custom also...and no I am not rich,,,I found the right guy and I know how to wait to do the job right .Anyway just wanted to know what you think.
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that there is a "zen" to having a handmade guitar. I own two handmade instruments -- a Triggs and a Contreras (classical). Knowing that a master builder lovingly created the instrument makes the guitar special. There are factory made instruments that are probably just as good IMHO (as the Triggs at least -- I have yet to see a high quality factory-made classical), but none that has the vibe of a hand-made instrument.

I would include, BTW, Martins and similar brands to be factory made. To me, "hand made" means made by one craftsman. Being hand-made in on an "assembly line" is not the same thing to me (although the quality may be just as good). Fender seems to understand this, and markets a "master built" line of guitars from their custom shop that are built soup to nuts by one guy.

The "custom order" nature of a hand-made guitar has never had that much impact on me. My hands quickly adapt to neck shapes, sizes and radiuses (I have a feeling that is true of many players). And high-end instruments generally come with great hardware and electronics. So the ability to specify specific features doesn't do that much for me.

Incidentally, there are "custom order" shops like Carvin that don't have the "bespoke vibe" IMHO, but they do allow you to specify options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: