Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar electronics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Guitar electronics Reply with quote

Is it me or is the guitar getting to automated.....I was reading a guitar mag the other day and they had a guitar in it that had enought eletronics in it ...it looked like opening the hood of a car.I guess it won't be long and it will play itself.I don't even see how these sell.Has the Guitar Nation got as lazy as that.I'am not the best player .but I will do it on my own no matter what,I am not really keen on boxes or effects either,but I can live with that.Some of the bands out there ,don't even do their own recording for their cd's.they hire real players to do it ,because time is money when recording ....but that's another subject.
And modeling is getting out of hand....
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's a part of the era we're in. Guitar hasn't changed. Just people and technlogies. Everyone makes a signal processing digital gizmo and they all sound decent and cheap because now they can do it and cheap! What did basic multi-track digital cost in 1990?..waaay too much that's for sure. Now the price of a cheap guitar can get you can digitally recording possibly even at 96k (unheard of in 1990).

Now expecially pop rock is so processed and digitized...oh and lets not forget people can't play! I think its just a passing thing. People will get bored with it.

Jazz I think is showing a new surge of interest and it will be interesting to see what comes of it?

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Dean

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you ,the price of the pods and pads and home recording are very in reach of the avarage person...That is one thing I really like about jazz..it is still the player's music....It just does not get its full due in the market place.I think people of all ages really like jazz ,when they hear it in the right setting....They just don't go out of their way to support it ,buy the cd's.Blues and Jazz will always live.....I guess I just want to keep it old school,in the hands as they say.A guitar and a amp...pure.Look at all the great stuff before we even had pickups.I guess I'am just a dreamer.Pro tools and all.Just my two cents.
marksound

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm just terminally analog. Give me a low-tech Strat or Tele, my Blues Driver, and a little old tube amp and I'm happy as a clam. Whatever that means. Laughing

All the digital stuff just sounds fake to me. Recording, it's a necessary evil. But instruments should be analog. IMO.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, Mark. It amazes me to see how much money some people spend in search of that "authentic" blues sound. They don't stop to think that most of the guys in those days used what you describe; a decent a guitar and a little tube amp that got over driven. Gear won't compensate for lack of feeling.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kind of funny how the guitar nation has evolved into this search for the 'perfect tone' when what they're trying to emulate came from anything but perfect! Laughing my buns off!

But to give myself a bit of latitude, technology is what feeds my family and I try to be supportive of new tools and ideas. I haven't recorded or played a thing for months that wasn't software driven. I still want to create an entirely computer based gig'n rig but simply haven't done it.

I still believe things will come full circle. Look what happened in the end of the '90's, Gibson, Fender and even Silvertone (Sears?) guitars came back into 'music fashion'! Huh?

And I'll never forget the day I went from a floor full of stomp boxes to a single midi controller on the floor...one push of a button..yeah! Laughing

Dean

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am all for a little progress in high tec.....and there will always be someone that can use it all.I just think you start to lose the music or what I define as music ( when it can be played just like the cd or record with out a studio ) The feel of the music means more to me then the hardware .
a little history....back in the day people would string up on the house front porch and play .The strings would be placed on the wood of the house and played.I am sure most of you know this.....Gear has come a long way.I guess I'am just trying to say less can be more in the right hands,and I guess I just don't want the next guitar hero to just push buttons.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I guess I just don't want the next guitar hero to just push buttons.

Couldn't agree with you more. You hit a thought. If all these kids playing the game 'Guitar Hero' actually spent the amount of hours with a real guitar, could you imagine? I dunno?

Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I
a little history....back in the day people would string up on the house front porch and play .The strings would be placed on the wood of the house and played.I am sure most of you know this.....Gear has come a long way.

I'm still waiting for the digital diddley bow Laughing
aiq

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking for a pedal that sounds like Wes's thumb...

tech advances in recording, distribution of product, small amps/PAs that sound great...love them.

synths used for the sound effect rather than coloring keyboard sounds, effects that make guitars sound like _________ (fill in the blank with anything that doesn't sound like a guitar), or drum machines/samples (both appear on John McLaughlin's latest) leave me a bit cold.

what's wrong with the sound of a guitar, piano, bass, drum as is?

then again, i'm an old geezer...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have McLaughlin's latest as well and I agree, a little to techie for what I was expecting to hear.

Now at the same time, my little brother is known for and makes a living at being that techie, so I find myself a little conflicted. Confused

marksound

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Now at the same time, my little brother is known for and makes a living at being that techie, so I find myself a little conflicted. Confused

I was gonna say. Laughing
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all of you well know ...blues and jazz players even today ,but almost always in the early days..just showed to record or gig just with their guitar.They would use what ever was there....people like Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry ....In the early days I've heard players carried a suitcase, a bottle , a guitar , and a gun ( make sure you got payed ).The music made is still the bench mark today.Maybe today in a time where everything comes a little to easy...we've lost that deep soul and feeling inside, where all the great music comes from.All the notes don't have to be right just have to be real.
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIQ Wrote
Quote:
I'm still looking for a pedal that sounds like Wes's thumb...

That is priceless! Thank you.

Quote:
what's wrong with the sound of a guitar, piano, bass, drum as is?

I couldn't agree with you more. All the electronics out there are horrible for music education.. because players don't have to worry about producing good tone when they can just buy it. And purchased tone sounds like cr*p.

Classical guitarists spend years developing tone, and it is one of the most difficult things they do. Jazz players generally play through a clean setting. I don't mind slight effects if they enhance the musicality.

I will tell you, however, that whenever I walk into a Guitar Center, there seems to be somebody playing some non-musical phrase through oodles of effects. Needless to say, it diminishes my shopping pleasure.

Speed and effects are two of the ways players can cover up a lack of talent or nothing to express. I'm not saying that these elements don't have their place. It's just that theyre way overused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: