Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save Jazz at the Smithsonian!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Save Jazz at the Smithsonian! Reply with quote

Important information I would like to pass on to our folks here:

Quote:

The Washington City Paper is reporting that the Smithsonian is considering closing the Smithsonian Jazz Cafe located in the National Museum of Natural History. As a result, they've only booked artists through April. Here is the link to the full article: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=1142

The Cafe is an excellent venue that offers concerts by the likes of Jimmy Bruno for only $10. It is almost always filled to capacity and is well liked by the musicians who perform there.

Despite its popularity, the Smithsonian says the Cafe loses money but rather than review its cost structure (admission, menu, etc...) it appears to be leaning towards pulling the plug. Some suspect the Cafe is a victim of the financial mess left by the previous Smithsonian chief who resigned in disgrace under ethical clouds concerning corruption.

Here is a chance for the AAJ community to actually save a Jazz venue! Because the Cafe is part of the US taxpayer supported Smithsonian, your opinion matters. It's not just about the market for once.

I urge every U.S. citizen on this board to write their Senators and Congressman to demand that the Cafe not be sacrificed. Those of you who are not U.S. citizens who have visited the Cafe can write the Smithsonian itself expressing your dismay as visitors to Washington at its possible closure.

Thanks ingeneri for making this known!

Brian

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Bruno at the Smithsonian April 27th Reply with quote

Oh my ?????

Friday, April 27
Jimmy Bruno & his new combo!
Jimmy Bruno, guitar, Tony Miceli, vibraphone, Jeff Pedras, bass & Dan Monaghan, drums. Record Release Party & Live DVD recording!

I'm already committed but I'm going to do what I can to get out of it and go! Thumbs Up!

Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a great show. I live about a 15 minute subway ride from the Smithsonian, but I have yet to visit the Jazz Cafe.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
That should be a great show. I live about a 15 minute subway ride from the Smithsonian, but I have yet to visit the Jazz Cafe.

That's a shame, but I understand. I really don't like going down to the district. I still don't know if I'm going to get to go, but I'm trying.

aiq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would write my congressperson but, living on the federal plantation - DC I don't have representation in congress.

Where's my mule? Where's my 40 ounce, i mean acres?

The SJC is an easy walk from the Federal Triangle stop on the blue/orange line.

City life rules...even if the parking situation is a nightmare.
aiq

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Washington Post, 5/25/07, reports that the Cafe will funded thru Sept. and hopefully a private sponsor will be found by then.

Many suspect that the former SI head's financial scandal is the real reason behind the closing.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aiq wrote:
The Washington Post, 5/25/07, reports that the Cafe will funded thru Sept. and hopefully a private sponsor will be found by then.

Many suspect that the former SI head's financial scandal is the real reason behind the closing.

Well unfortunately that report really isn't saying anything. I suspect like the vast majority, federal funds are fiscal! Meaning they're funded until 9/30/2007 which in a way is pointing out the obvious for federal funding. They wouldn't be open now if they weren't funded for FY07.

From all I can gather SI has suffered from this person in more ways than this. The recent report of global warming trends being doctored for the presidential administration is also associated to the same persons. Rolling Eyes

aiq

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear you brother...

why don't "the people" pay attention?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aiq wrote:
i hear you brother...

why don't "the people" pay attention?

They can't afford it! Laughing my buns off! Laughing my buns off! Laughing my buns off!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: